Preclinical Imaging Core (PIC)
Lisa Lemen, PhD
The Core was established to provide non-invasive multimodal imaging capabilities optimized for rodent imaging to the UC research community. The facility specializes in micro-CT and micro-PET/SPECT for longitudinal research projects in small animal models, but also provides bioluminescence, fluorescence and planar x-ray imaging capabilites. A XenX cabinet irradiator is available for cell, focal, and whole-rodent irradiation. The Core actively supports research in cancer and other progressive diseases, and a variety of surgical and bioengineering projects.
Location and Hours:
Vontz Center Rm 0330 (basement- restricted access - call lab 558-7930)
M-F 8:30am-5pm; or as arranged
Announcement Sept 2018
Bioluminescence and Fluorescence imaging services are now available to PIs within the UC-COM LAMS mouse facilities – mice housed in the LAMS Vontz and MSB facilities remain behind the barrier for their imaging sessions and are returned to their original rooms. Please contact the lab for further information.
Announcement Jan 2019
A XenX closed cabinet x-ray irradiator with a rotational gantry, designed for irradiation of cells and rodents is now available. Please contact the lab or Michael Lamba (584-9028, firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.
PET/CT/SPECT imaging<br />
1. Standard Imaging services for small animals, with contrast agents and radiopharmaceuticals supplied as a pass-through charge
a.Micro CT – in-vivo and ex-vivo imaging; specialized CT contrast agents
b.Micro SPECT with standard clinical tracers
c.Micro PET with 18F-FDG
d. co-registered modalities
e. includes protocol-specific calibrations
2.Advanced Imaging Services
a.Respiratory or cardiac-gated CT
b.Micro PET & SPECT with novel tracers
$225 per hour
Optical imaging (BLI, FLR) and x-ray<br />
1. Standard Imaging services for small animals, with agents supplied either by PI or as a pass-through charge
d. planar x-ray
e. co-registered modalities
f. includes protocol-specific calibrations
2. Advanced imaging services
a.Mouse femur bone densitometry studies
$125 per hour
Investigator self processing <br />
Investigator use of image processing workstations and software.
Basic instructions provided by lab personnel.
$50 per hour
Image and Data post-processing<br />
Image post-processing by PIC personnel:
1. basic tasks: data transfer; cropping; volumetrics;
2. advanced analysis: bone densitometry; pharmacokinetics;
$80 per hour
Radiopharmaceuticals and specialized contrast agentsCost:Request Information
1. Standard irradiation services, including cell, mouse whole-body, and mouse flank xenograph irradiations are provided through the Core. Please contact the lab (558-7930) for information and scheduling.
2. Complex or unusual irradiations, such as orthotopic or highly focal irradiations can be developed specific to your application. These services must be coordinated with Dr. Michael Lamba (584-9028, email@example.com) prior to scheduling.
please contact the lab for information
Tri-modal micro-imaging system with LSO-based positron emission tomography (micro-PET), dual-head single photon emission computed tomography (micro-SPECT), and cone-beam computerized tomography (micro-CT) sub-systems.Request Information
a) Bore size = 12 cm; max FOV = 10cm.
Integrated Biovet monitoring system: respiratory, EKG, temperature control; heating pad on pallet
Bruker multi-spectral FX PRO
Bioluminescence, fluorescence, x-ray, and optical imaging in small animals.Request Information
a) 20 - 200 mm FOV (images up to 5 mice simultaneously)
b) warm-air chamber with isoflurane anesthesia manifolds
c) excitation filters: 390nm to 770nm in 20nm steps
d) emission filters: 535nm, 600 nm, 700nm, 750nm, 790nm, 830nm
Closed cabinet x-ray irradiator with a rotational gantry, designed for irradiation of cells and rodents. Provides both whole-body irradiation for myelosuppression, and focal irradiation similar to current clinical radiotherapy approaches. A portal imaging camera provides verification of the beam localization.
- 50 – 220 kV x-rays
- Mounted on isocentric arm with 35 cm source-to-isocenter distance
- 3 mm round to 10 cm x 10 cm fields at standard distance, larger at extended distances
- Point dose calculator
- 0.69 mm Cu HVL treatment x-rays