Michael D. Fiday
Professor of Composition
CCM Composition, Musicology & Theory - 0003
Michael Fiday, Professor, has been commissioned and performed extensively throughout the United States, Europe and elsewhere by a diverse range of performers such as Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Symphony, American Composers Orchestra, Oakland East Bay Symphony, Percussion Ensemble of The Hague, pianists James Tocco and Marc-Andre Hamelin, and electric guitarist Seth Josel. His principal teachers in composition have included Richard Toensing at University of Colorado, George Crumb at University of Pennsylvania and Louis Andriessen, with whom he studied in Amsterdam under the auspices of a Fulbright Grant.
Fiday is the recipient of numerous awards, grants and residencies from, among others, the Fromm Foundation, the Barlow Foundation, BMI, ASCAP, American Composers Forum, Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, The MacDowell Colony, Yaddo, Headlands Center for the Arts and the Ohio Arts Council.
BM: University of Colorado Boulder, CO,
MA and PhD: University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA,
2007 Residency at Headlands Center for the Arts Status:Recipient Level:Professional Org. Type:Monetary
2007 URC Summer Grant University of Cincinnati Status:Recipient Level:University Type:Grant
2006 -2007 Friends of CCM Faculty Projects Pool Award University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music Status:Recipient Level:University Type:Monetary
2006 Individual Artist Excellence Award Ohio Arts Council Status:Recipient Level:Professional Org. Type:Recognition
2010 Individual Artist Excellence Award Ohio Arts Council
2018 -2018 Ohio Arts Council: Individual Excellence Award Ohio Arts Council Status:Recipient Level:State Type:Recognition
08-2017 Barlow Foundation: General Commission Barlow Foundation Status:Recipient Level:National Type:Grant
11-2017 Fromm Music Foundation, Harvard University Status:Recipient Level:National Type:Grant
- It Shakes My Teeth for 2 electric guitars and 3 percussion (2014)
- Five Haiku for alto flute and guitar (2012)
- After for piano solo (2011)
- Gonzo Variations - Hunter S. Thompson in memoriam for chamber orchestra (2010)
- National Flute Association, Young Artists Competition: new work to be performed at NFA Convention in Washington, DC, August 2015.
- Duo Damiana (Molly Barth, Dieter Hennings): 5 Haiku for alto flute and guitar
- University of Cincinnati Research Council, guitarists Derek Johnson and Taylor Levine, Percussion Group Cincinnati: It Shakes My Teeth - 2 electric guitars and 3 percussion
- American Composers Orchestra: Gonzo Variations - Hunter S. Thompson in memoriam
- It Shakes My Teeth for 2 electric guitars and 3 percussion: College-Conservatory of Music/University of Cincinnati, January 29, 2014: Derek Johnson, Taylor Levine, Percussion Group Cincinnati
- 5 Haiku for alto flute and guitar: numerous performances by Duo Damiana, 2013-2014
- Automotive Passacaglia for orchestra: Orquestra Sinfonica de Quanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico, June 14, 2013
- Slapback for electric guitar and delay unit: Stefan Schomaker, Cuba Cultur, Black Box, Muenster, Germany, October 27, 2012
- Dharma Pops for violin duo, narrator: Elizabeth Derham, Brian Blake, Gershwin Hotel, New York, NY, January 12, 2012
- Protest Song for mezzo-soprano and 4 instruments: Mary Nessinger, Sequitur Ensemble, Bargemusic, Brooklyn, NY, May 21, 2010.
- Gonzo Variations for Chamber Orchestra: premiered by American Composers Orchestra, Carnegie/Zankel Hall, New York, NY, April 9, 2010
- Slapback for electric guitar and delay unit, Seth Josel, guitar; New World Records: released January 2009.
- Same Rivers Different—Music of Michael Fiday, released on Innova label fall 2008, featuring performances of Automotive Passacaglia, 9 Haiku, Dharma Pops, Same Rivers Differentfor solo percussion, and Hands on for percussion quartet by James Tocco, Percussion Group Cincinnati, Bart Feller, Carla Kihlstedt and Graeme Jennings, Christopher Froh, among others.
- 9 Haiku, 5 Monochromatic Dances, and 3 Winters all published by Dinsic Publicacions Musicals, Barcelona, Spain